Thursday, August 5, 2010

Suu Corset - I got pictures!



I love when clients send me photos of them in their commissions. There's always that niggling doubt that you've messed up an inch here, maybe you should've raised a hem there, and getting a photo of it on a body instead of laid flat or sitting lumpily on a mannequin it doesn't quite fit just reafirms that yes, you do know what you're doing, and math never lies.


She looks so wonderful. I rebound the edges of the base costume (stockings, shorts, gloves, armholes), her partners coat, stitched two cosplay shirts for his costume, and created the corset from scratch. It's semi-custom (measurements but no fitting) with hand bound bias binding and a really nifty faux closed front.

Underneath the front panel (with the buckles) is a busk opening, and a grommet and lacing panel. When the front panel snaps and buckles into place overtop of the hardware the corset appears to have no openings, as the corset in the manga was drawn without much concern for the physical limitations of corset construction.

I was really really pleased with this whole outfit. The corset is the most beautiful silk and the front fastening issues were a real challenge for my pattern drafting skills.

I'm still freezing my pants off at the end of the earth, but I'll be flying home on sunday. I've been super bored this week, spending a ridiculous amount of time taking photos and making really silly faces. I expect my next post will be a photo diary of my week.

No comments: