Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hey *insert microscopic number of subscribers*

I'll be off at the end of the world this coming week. (No, seriously)My grandmama's turning ninety, so pretty much the entire immediate clan is congregating on my aunts house to throw her a party and let her know that yes, family outside of Dunedin still exist

I'll be doing a few more blog posts about my current projects (The wedding dress, as well as a black tutu dress just recently in the pipes) once I get back. At present all my camera/cell phone equipment is packed at the bottom of my suitcase and I have absolutely no desire to dig down through all the layers to show you what I've worked on this week (there was a lot of lace pinning and cutting of skirt panels)

To tide myself over, here's some pictures yanked off my hard drive. I don't know if they'll be of interest to anyone, but there you go.


Two pictures of the costumes I built for halloween. The one of the left is a spartan costume with breast plate and a couple of other pieces, but you can't see it for the cloak. It was quite a bit colder than it should have been in october and we didn't account for warmth.

I also did costume zombie makeup for her and reasonably period-appropriate makeup for myself


This was an old corset made with the bulk order. I've always liked it because of the fabrics (gorgeous crimson dupioni silk with a heavy de-lustered satin fixed lining) and also because it was a big turning point for me. I'd made it up the point where I was putting in the busk, before I realised the front panels were too short. The only options were to cut down the busk, or re-make it. I decided to remake, and finished a vastly technically superior corset within four days.

Prior to this I'd had to take a great deal of time and patience when making corsets, as I tended to accidentally skip steps if I didn't concentrate fully on the task, so this particular job gave me a lot of confidence regarding my time schedules.

And this is just a super cool photo. There's a park up near my city's red light district that has these really cool sculptures that look like the old city architecture has just sunken into the ground. Coupled with sparse street lamps the place is really eerie late at night.

No comments: